Translate

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Poems About Death (Week Long Series): Post #2

This first piece, entitled, "The Last Time", is actually a poem I wrote when my step-grandmother (my step-dads mom) passed away. She lived in Michigan up until the last few years of her life when she moved down to Arizona to be warmer and closer to other family members. The last time I saw her, she was up here in Michigan visiting during the summer of 2010. Before she went back to Arizona at the end of that August, she gave me a hug and said, "Hopefully I'll get to see you again." I thought it was pretty strange that she would say such a thing. Almost like she knew it would probably be the last time. And it was. She passed away in        January of that winter. 

--------------------------------------------------

The Last Time

The last time I saw her
She gave me a kiss
Looked me in the eyes
Said I would be missed

She turned and walked away
Unsure at her ripe old age
About the next chapter
Or even just another page

Grandma boarded the plane
Flew back home to Arizona
A few short months later
She passed in Santa Rosa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next piece is one that I wrote just after the passing of my step-dad. I wrote it through my mothers perspective. To me, it seemed like nights were the worst for her. For the first few weeks after Wades death, my mom couldn't bring herself to sleep in their bed. It was a sad time for her and it wasn't easy to watch her struggle. I came up with this poem one night while sitting there wondering how it must have felt for her. She has never read this as I just couldn't bring myself to show her. It's called, "When it Hurts the Most". 

--------------------------------------------------

When it Hurts the Most

At night is when it hurts the most
I can feel you here but I know I’m alone
Your spirit lingers on empty bed
I cling to memories saved in my head

A sudden chill sweeps over my body
An overwhelming sensation that burns
A cool breeze hits my tempered face
With the warmth of your loving embrace

Whispers float with the quiet tides
A rolling frequency of crashing waves
My ears pick up your static sound
On a whim of hope I call out loud

Your lips brush gently against mine
They are what I long for the most
Your fingertips run softly through my hair
As I lay restless in the darkened air

I watch for you with desperation
But my eyes are blind to your presence
They search with no avail
They’ve fallen off the trail

Only my dreams will keep you alive
It’s not enough for peace of mind
I can feel you here but I know I’m alone
That’s why at night is when it hurts the most

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Be sure to also checkout my Zazzle Store and Shutterstock Portfolio!

No comments:

Post a Comment