Translate

Friday, February 27, 2015

Poems About Death (Week Long Series): Post #5

This piece was by far the hardest poem about death that I have ever written. It tells the exact story of the day my step-dad passed away. It is one of the few writings that I've done where I've made myself cry. And that's about all I'm going to say about it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Goodbye

Get the call
Dad's on deathbed
Hasn’t but an hour left
Drop it all
Rubber on road
Hadn’t seen him all week
Speed before it’s too late
Failure not an option
Park on concrete garage
Uphill incline
To facilities stench
Revolving through the doors
Rotate in
Climb to sixth floor
In room
In time
Wasn’t prepared
A haunting site
Violent gasp
Reaching for air
Mouth hanging
Full of foam
Wipe it down
Huddle around
Squeeze his hand
He feels my presence
He opens up
With little life he had
A single tear
Drips from corner
He knows I’m there
He seems relieved
Like he’s ready
Like he’s going
His blood stalls
His organs give
His soul meets peace
Dad's gone

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Be sure to also checkout my Zazzle Store and Shutterstock Portfolio!




1 comment:

  1. This causes me goosebumps. A tragic story, beautifully written. The emotion is still there in the poem.

    B. @ www.tobepoets.nl

    ReplyDelete